The design of a narrow kitchen is complex and responsible in its own way. How to make the space was both functional and beautiful? How to arrange the furniture and what colors to choose when making such a kitchen? We are looking for answers to these and many other questions today and find out how a narrow layout opens up broad prospects for us in kitchen interior design.
Planning a narrow kitchen - how to place a dining area and a suite?
It is with the help of planning and placement of furniture that you can correct the shortcomings of a rectangular room. There are several options for the location of furniture:
- A single-row layout, which is also called linear, is when a kitchen unit is installed along a long wall so that the refrigerator and stove are on different sides of the sink. So there will be a place for passage, and free space can be used for the dining area. For a very narrow kitchen, it fits best. Different ways of arranging furniture, you can look at the photo below.
- With L-shaped (or angular) layout furniture is placed along adjacent walls for the best proportions, and at the same time they create an additional work surface. In this case, you can increase the window sill and make it a continuation of the tabletop, use it as a table, or place a washing machine in the resulting niche.
- Two-row layout is best suited for an elongated, but wide enough kitchen. Choose this option if you have a large, rectangular-shaped kitchen. Then the dining area can be taken out at one end of the kitchen, for example, to the window.
Tip! It must be remembered that between the rows of cabinets should remain 90-120 centimeters.
See also the material: Kitchen design 5 square. meters from repair to decor.
If the space is too small and narrow, then the dining area should either be taken out to another room, as shown in the photo:
Or consider a non-standard solution for placing a dining area - bar counter, folding small or narrow table along the wall.
- Another option for such a kitchen is a U-shaped layout. Convenient in terms of spaciousness of cabinets and the ability to equip the kitchen with all necessary appliances, but almost all the free space will be “eaten”. With such a plan, you will have to move the dining area to the room, because there is likely to be no more space left in the kitchen.
On the other hand, if the footage allows, then the lunch group can be placed as shown in the photo below.
Tip! In preparing the work area, keep in mind the so-called "triangle rule". Plate, sink and work surface should be located side by side, as if at three points of one triangle. This will allow you to spend a minimum of time and effort during cooking and related processes.
The best option, which will take into account the features of an elongated kitchen, will be the manufacture of a kitchen to order, because typical sets are usually made for standard layouts. You can maximize the utility of a narrow space by ordering open shelves (visually increasing space) or cabinets that will “reach out” all the way to the ceiling - this will solve the storage problem when the most rarely used utensils are placed at the top and the necessary one is below.
Tip! It is desirable that the doors of the cabinets in this case were made with transparent glass, it can be semi-gloss.
The doors of the headset, by the way, can open upwards - this will add the spirit of modernity to your kitchen, and nothing will interfere.
In addition, a headset made according to your needs, in the case of a narrow kitchen, will allow you to realize the most daring ideas: what about pull-out tops and folding tables? You can use them both for eating and for cooking.
See also the material: How to equip the kitchen area of 6 square meters. meters.
The main task in the design of any narrow room is to visually “expand” it. This can be achieved by choosing light colors for the walls, which can be covered with both wallpaper and paint. Apron is also desirable to make the tone of the walls or lighter.
Of course, it is better if the walls are solid, but you can choose wallpaper with a picture, in this case, the main thing is that it should be small. Another variant - photo wallpapers with a panoramic image that will create a linear perspective and expand the space. It is better to refuse dark wallpaper, and even more so, you should not allocate a long wall with dark wallpaper, wallpaper with light small drawings or a horizontal strip will suit much better.
A darker shade is better to highlight narrow walls to balance the space.
As floor coverings almost anything will do; you just need to choose the right pattern and correctly lay the cover.
It is better to lay the tile diagonally, as in the photo below.
When choosing a floor covering color, it is important to keep in mind that it is better to choose either contrasting with the main color of the room, or repeating it. For example, a dark color on the floor will make a narrow room visually higher, and light floors, similar in color to furniture, will add light.
Tip! It will look good cover of rectangular elements, where the narrow side will be facing the long wall - so you can lay, for example, laminate.
And here are some more successful examples of floor coverings in a narrow kitchen in the following photos:
Design, color, decor
The design of a narrow kitchen is most harmoniously performed in a minimalist or Scandinavian style. The restraint of these styles fits perfectly, because in the narrow kitchen no extra items or massive constructions are allowed. These styles love order, simplicity, minimum of small things, cluttering up the space - just what you need in a long kitchen. It is better to choose light tone not only for finishing, but also at the choice of furniture.
See the material on the topic: Kitchen 7 square. meters in 9 steps.
- Good lighting plays an important role, so for windows choose light curtains or Roman curtains. The first suitable for large wide windows, and the second - for narrower ones. Any kitchen should have several sources of lighting, and a narrow one - even more so. Ceiling chandelier is best positioned above the dining area, the working area - to provide spotlight. Ceiling lamps can also be hung by highlighting a couple of kitchen areas, but it is important not to line them up so as not to reinforce the “tunnel” look of the kitchen.
- Reflective surfaces will visually expand the space: choose glossy furniture and accessories, finish with mirror elements.For the ceiling is best suited stretch glossy finish.
- If a balcony adjoins the kitchen, it can become an additional living space. For example, if you properly warm it, you can put a dining area on the balcony or place a refrigerator there.
- Remember that the horizontal lines and patterns make the kitchen wider, and the vertical - higher. Therefore, along the elongated walls, place high pieces of furniture and interior, and narrow end walls can be balanced with wide window sill and short curtains.
As you see, it is easy to harmonize the space of a narrow kitchen with the help of correctly selected finishing materials, simple furniture and a competent combination of horizontal and vertical lines. We hope that with the help of our tips and photos, the design and arrangement of a narrow kitchen will become easier and more interesting for you.
- All about the design of a small kitchen - 16 super receptions and 70 photos
- Furniture for a small kitchen - the secrets of designers in one article
- Kitchen design 8 square. m in seven steps
- Design a stylish kitchen-living room: zoning and decoration methods
- 10 tips on improving the kitchen area of 9 square meters. meters
- Kitchen design 10 square meters. m