The island is a multifunctional table located in the center of the kitchen in order to make it convenient to move within the framework of the “working triangle” (refrigerator, sink, cooking place). This is not the most necessary piece of furniture, but its presence significantly increases the comfort and functionality of the kitchen.
The kitchen interior with the island came to the living quarters from the restaurant business, where it was important to ensure the work of several cooks at the same time, for which the tables were made with the possibility of an approach from both sides.
What area and how can you place the island?
- Kitchen with the island is relevant, as a rule, in country houses and apartments in the segment of luxury real estate, where the area of the kitchen area exceeds 25 square meters m and there is a separate dining room.
- A small, mobile island or peninsula can be installed in the kitchen of 15-25 square meters. m, so that the aisles between the island and other kitchen furniture were at least 1 m wide.
- It is desirable that the kitchen island completely repeats the outlines of the room itself - that is, only square in a square room or elongated in a rectangular one.
The total minimum area of this zone placed in the central part of the room can be 3 square meters. meters with the following dimensions:
- Width - 60-150 cm;
- Length - over 120 cm;
- Height - in the range of 85-90 cm.
These dimensions are certainly worth considering if you want to make an island in the kitchen with your own hands.
What are the advantages of the island
By installing a table-island, you will lose from 1 to 3 square meters. m square and a few centimeters of height (to sum up communications, you will need to raise the floor). But you will gain much more:
- Ergonomics - the island is located in the center of the kitchen, being one of the vertices of the working triangle, and at the same time it contains many useful functions. It is very convenient to move around the kitchen during the cooking process, while several people can cook and chat with it.
- Functionality - in theory, an island in the kitchen is able to replace a complete set, completely freeing the wall. After all, it can be located:
- The hob and oven (in this case, the hood is installed above the island);
- Household appliances: dishwasher, small refrigerator or wine shelf;
- Roomy tabletop, replacing a cutting table, and if necessary - a bar;
- Additional storage places for dishes, cutlery, etc.
- The island can play the role of a table or bar counter (breakfast bar). That is, if it is better to have dinner in the dining room and have dinner with your family, then it is more convenient to have breakfast and snack in the kitchen at such an island table.
- In the interior of a large kitchen, it looks elegant and monumental, but the design of the island can be made in a variety of shapes, sizes, colors and styles. Therefore, even if your kitchen is not so spacious as to not think at all about saving space, you can choose narrow and small models.
- The island delicately but clearly separates the space. combined kitchen-living room or kitchen-dining room.
What you need to know about installation and equipment
- If you want an island with a sink or dishwasher, then even at the repair stage you will need to think about transferring and carrying out water and drain pipes;
- If you are planning to install an island with a hob, oven, then take care of the electrics on the floor also at the repair stage;
- Keep in mind that in order to conduct all communications, the floor will need to be slightly raised;
- Consider that the planning of the kitchen with the island must also include a suspended (island) hood, the installation of which is not done by hand, but will require the participation of professionals;
- If you plan to install household appliances, then only stationary ones are selected for it, and not a mobile table;
- In addition, the island should be additionally illuminated - for this purpose, hanging ceiling lights will fit separately;
- If shelves are made in the island’s hull, then a separate lighting is arranged for them, for example, LED light;
- You can choose modern transforming furniture made at the factory, or you can make a set of standard modular elements with your own hands, turning them towards each other and covering them with a common table top.
Deciding on a design
In order for a kitchen island to be convenient and practical, you need not only to keep the required dimensions, but also to choose the best shape and style for the room.
Most often, the island part is made square or rectangular, but can be oval, semicircular, round and even zigzag.
The island can be multi-level - rolling on the table, with a side bar, etc.
Most often, the island and kitchen set is made in the same style, in the same colors and materials.
But this rule is not a dogma, the headsets and the island may be different in color and material.
Especially if it is a mobile table-island on wheels. It can be metal or wood.
As for styles, most often the kitchen island is made as follows:
- Classic - there are stained glass windows in the cabinets doors, carved facades, stone countertops, arched open shelves with interesting balusters. All materials are necessarily natural, and the installed hood is of the fireplace type.
- Country music - These are wooden open tables, cute print curtains instead of facades, wicker baskets instead of drawers.
- For kitchens in modern style Preferred materials are metal with glass. The table top is streamlined, and the facades are smooth. Furniture handles will not be visible, and the technology is installed embedded.
- Kitchen design with an island in minimalism and hi-tech distinguish functionality and conciseness. The table top and body can be glass, metal, stone, glossy.
- AT Scandinavian style The island is also laconic and simple, not only in form and color, but also in material. For example, a tabletop is preferable from solid wood, not stone. The frame can be made of metal, brick, wood, even concrete.
And finally, here is an example of how you can fit a small island in a completely ordinary apartment in Almaty with a combined kitchen-living room.
- Kitchen island dimensions
- Everything about the kitchen with a bar
- How to equip the U-shaped kitchen
- Home-made bar counter or mini-bar can everyone
- Bar counter dimensions
- Accessories for the bar