Which kitchen is better - glossy or matte? Not only interior design, but also the practicality of the room and even its illumination depend on the choice of facades. From this material, you will learn what a glossy set plays to matte, and what wins, how to choose a kitchen with shiny facades, how to properly care for it and how best to plan an interior design with such furniture. Also here you will find a large selection of photos for finding ideas and good solutions.
In short, the answer is simple: Matte finish is more versatile and practical, but glossy - it looks more impressive, fits better in small and dark kitchens and is often stronger. Further in the table we have sorted out in more detail than the glossy kitchen is better than the matte one and the worse.
|Looks beautiful in modern interiors.||Not suitable for kitchens in traditional styles.|
|Visually “facilitates” bulky furniture, the space with glossy furniture seems more airy and spacious, which is especially good for a small kitchen.||Fingerprints remain on both matte and glossy surfaces, but they are more noticeable on gloss. However, it depends on the color: on the white glossy kitchen there are practically no fingerprints, on a colored background the visibility is average, but not only prints are visible on the dark facades, but also dust, water marks, dirt and scratches.|
|Light reflecting surfaces enhance the lighting, which is favorable for northern and dark kitchens.||Glossy surfaces glare, they may reflect objects that are in the room. All this can annoy and spoil the interior. How to avoid glare, we will describe below.|
|Glossy finish is good for dark furniture, as it makes it less gloomy and prevents light absorption.||Poor glossy film quickly scratched.|
|High-quality shiny facades are less afraid of moisture and mechanical damage.||Brilliant cuisine obliges to restrained interior design, as it looks elegant in itself.|
|Due to its smoothness, glossy furniture is easy to clean.||The glossy kitchen can seem "plastic", uncomfortable, and even "office". According to some designers, it looks less noble and expensive than matte.|
|Matt kitchen less attracts dust than glossy.|
Now we offer to learn some practical tips on choosing a glossy kitchen and facades, as well as a few design tips.
9 tips for creating a glossy kitchen
Tip 1. The most practical glossy kitchen - light
The practicality of the glossy kitchen depends on its color. On light glossy surfaces (for example, white, vanilla, cream) dust, water droplets, dirt, fingerprints are almost imperceptible. Especially practical is the light gloss with the effect of nacre or small colored patches.
But the color glossy kitchens require more attention - fingerprints may be noticeable. However, this lack of facades with color prints and patterns.
Dark glossy kitchen (black, dark blue, brown, graphite, eggplant) - this is the most impractical version of the headset that you can think of. Dark surfaces themselves are very easily soiled, and if they are also glossy, then dust, stains from water, food stains, scratches and fingerprints are noticeable twice as much.
- Glossy kitchens of dark colors are suitable only for those who cook rarely and little.
See also our section: Kitchen color
Tip 2. Combine matte facades with glossy, if in doubt in choosing
If you are in doubt about choosing a glossy or matte kitchen, then consider simply combining facades with different finishes.
- Glossy facades are better suited for upper cabinets, and more practical matte ones for lower ones (especially if you have children).
By the same principle, you can combine glossy facades of different colors. Wall cabinets can be made colored or dark, and the bottom cabinets can be made with less-branded white.
Tip 3. When choosing a glossy kitchen, find out the finishing material.
Choosing a glossy kitchen, ask what coating its facades are covered with. The degree of gloss, price and durability of the headset depend on the finishing material.
- Acrylic plastic - the most durable, reliable, environmentally friendly type of glossy coating. Acrylic perfectly tolerates high temperatures, steam and moisture, does not fade with time and glitters most of all (gloss level 80 Gloss). In addition, it is the only type of plastic that can be recycled. But there is one nuance: acrylic facades can only be deaf (straight or radius), without any milling and panels. Therefore, if you want a glossy kitchen with showcase cabinets, then they will have to choose glass facades with aluminum frames. Such a combination may look nice and harmonious, but it increases the cost of furniture.
- HPL plastic (high pressure laminate) - also wear-resistant coating with a thickness of 0.3-2 mm or more, but slightly less gloss acrylic (70 Gloss), which is good if you do not want an intense shine. Glossy HPL-coated kitchens usually fall into the low and medium price range.
This photo shows Maria's kitchen (Vector model) with a plastic coating.
- Varnish (over enamel) - the varnished surface can have almost any shade (more than 700 tones are available in the RAL palette) and various “special effects” like mother-of-pearl, metallic or chameleon. In addition, the gloss of varnished facades can be very strong or medium. At the same time, lacquered facades are very wear-resistant, they are not afraid of exposure to steam, water, heat, UV rays, they do not absorb fat, they are rather resistant to scratching. Theoretically, if necessary, the coating can be repainted. Facades covered with enamel and varnish, in contrast to, for example, acrylic, can be not only deaf, but milled and panel. As a rule, lacquered facades are the most expensive.
- PVC film - Glitters least of all (60 Gloss gloss level), cheaper (used in the manufacture of budget kitchens), more prone to scratching, can be deformed under the action of high temperatures (for example, in the plate zone).
Tip 4. Ideal interior styles for a glossy headset are Scandinavian and eclectic (+ photo compilation)
Here are a couple of photo examples of eclectic kitchen interiors with glossy white furniture.
But a selection of photos for lovers Scandinavian comfort.
Tip 5. To the kitchen less dirty, equip the set with handles
On the one hand, the glossy kitchen without handles is good for its clear lines, conciseness and ease of cleaning. But at the same time, it is more dirty with fingerprints! Handles on the facades will help to avoid this problem. The main thing is that their design is minimalist to match the headset.
Tip 6. Combine glossy furniture with “contrasting” textures.
To make the interior of the kitchen cozy, interesting and less “office”, combine glossy furniture with decoration materials and decor with an interesting texture and better natural origin. For example, the gloss will get along well with textured wood, ceramic tiles, brickwork, concrete, metal, stone, glass, fur, leather.
Tip 7. Create a diffused kitchen lighting.
Lighting the kitchen with a glossy set should be planned very carefully, because reflective surfaces can double the result. In addition, the correct lighting is needed in order to reduce the amount of glare on the facades.
Here are a couple of our tips:
- All lamps in the kitchen (ceiling, wall, built-in, track, furniture) should have diffusers, anti-glare grilles, frosted glass screens or ceiling lamps.
- The ideal scheme of furniture lighting: track lights with diffusers, aimed directly at the facades. In such lighting, a brilliant kitchen will look even more impressive and beautiful.
Tip 8. The glossy kitchen eliminates the glossy ceiling.
Too much plastic and gloss overload the interior, the space seems uncomfortable and too kitschy. Therefore, instead of a glossy stretch ceiling, it is better to choose a matte or satin canvas.
Tip 9. Clean the kitchen with a microfiber cloth and wiper, antistatic for glossy furniture
To care for a glossy kitchen is simple - all you need is a soft cloth and a neutral detergent. Here are some simple rules and recommendations:
- Since glossy facades tend to attract dust, it is advisable to wipe them with a special antistatic for glossy furniture. It creates a thin film that prevents the electric charge from accumulating on the surface, which means attracting dust.
- To wipe the kitchen is best to use microfiber cloths or special wet wipes. So you will avoid stains, scratches or lint on the surface.
- To remove the fat from the facades, it is enough to use ordinary dishwashing detergent, and olive oil can be used for long-term greasy deposits.
- For daily cleaning of dust, fingerprints, traces of water and dirt, you can use window cleaner based on liquid ammonia - it will give a glossy surface shine, leaving no stains.
- Regardless of the glossy material, never use abrasives, hard brushes and sponges for cleaning furniture.
- Kitchen without handles - 6 solutions for modern interiors
- Choosing a kitchen from wood - 8 tips for the buyer
- 3 easy ways to upgrade your kitchen
- 7 secrets of brown in the interior of the kitchen
- Kitchens with MDF fronts - 10 tips for the buyer
- Replacing kitchen fronts is the perfect solution for practical owners.
- Sizes of kitchen fronts: tips for self-design