Wall shelves can open up new storage options or become a pretty backdrop for home decor. Small and large, books and kitchens, with hidden fastening and cantilever - almost any shelves can be made with your own hands, and not bought in the store. In this material, we presented 3 simple and cost-effective ways of making shelves and shelves for different purposes, as well as 70 photo ideas for inspiration.
Universal hanging shelf
Suspended shelf on the ropes knowingly gained great popularity. They look much more spectacular than regular shelves, and at the same time they are truly functional and versatile. They can be adapted for storing heavy things like dishes or flower pots, and light accessories. And thanks to the side holders, the shelf can also be used to store books.
And now we offer to switch to practice and do this universal shelf with our own hands.
You will need:
- 4 wooden boards (2.5 cm thick and of any desired length, for example, 1 m long as in our master class);
- Rope about 8 mm thick and 4 m long;
- Drill and drill bit with a diameter of 10 mm (the drill should be slightly thicker than the rope);
- 2 steel hooks and dowels for concrete with a diameter of 8 mm;
- The puncher and a drill on concrete of 8 mm;
- Drill and drill drill drill a hole in each corner of the board (draw a marking with a pencil). Remember that the holes should not be too close to the edges.
- Paint your board with paint / stain, and then, when the coating dries, treat with matt varnish or wax (this is not necessary, but it is advisable - if you want to protect the shelf from wet cleaning and scratches).
- If you want to preserve the natural color and texture of wood, then just polish the board from all sides with emery paper of coarse grain or a grinder.
- Place the steel hooks on the wall: first, use a level to make marks, then use a perforator with a 8 mm concrete drill to drill holes, insert 8 mm dowels into the holes, and finally screw the hooks into them.
- Cut your 4-meter rope into 4 equal lengths of 1 m. Pass the ropes through the holes in the board, and then tie the ends of them on the back of the board in a knot as shown in the photo below.
- Now that a pair of ropes has formed on each short side of the board, knot the ends of each pair and hang them on hooks. Make sure the shelf hangs smoothly and, if necessary, adjust the upper nodes. By the way, in the future you will be able to adjust the length of the ropes due to the upper knots.
You can experiment a little with ways of fixing the ropes and make with your own hands not only shelves, but even hanging racks.
If you have an unnecessary drawer from the dresser, then you can make from it just such a beautiful shelf with dividers. In it you can store something that should always be at hand or in plain sight.
You will need:
- Paint the desired color and brush;
- Wax or matt varnish;
- Wooden board or plywood of small thickness;
- Joiner's glue or liquid nails;
- Shelf hinges;
- Two dowels 8 mm and screws to them;
- The puncher and a drill on concrete of 8 mm;
- Phillips screwdriver;
- Sandpaper medium grain;
- A piece of wallpaper for the decor of the back wall;
- Putty for wood.
- Cut plywood / wood planks into the desired size with a jigsaw, then sand them on all sides with sandpaper.
- If the box has handles, remove them and cover the holes with putty.
- Paint the box in 2-3 layers, letting each layer dry completely. If you want to achieve a scuff effect, rub the box in some places with sandpaper.
- On the back wall of the shelf glue a piece of wallpaper, cut exactly to its size. You can glue wallpaper on wallpaper glue or any universal glue.
- Install the dividers with wood glue or liquid nails.
- Next, cover the box with wax or matte varnish to protect the top coating from damage and moisture.
- From the back of the shelf, nail or screw two metal loops onto the screws.
- Make two holes on the wall, after making a markup using a level, insert dowels into the holes, and screw in the screws, but not to the end, but leaving about 5 mm. Well, that's all, now you can hang a shelf on the wall.
Hanger shelf from ... back of the chair
If you have an old wooden chair, or rather a chair back, then you can make it a nice shelf with hooks. It can also be hung in the kitchen to be used for storing kitchen towels and aprons, and in the bathroom and in the hallway.
Such a chair back was before rework ...
... and this was after!
You will need:
- The back of a wooden chair;
- A small plank of wood or plywood;
- Three metal hooks;
- Pendulum saw on a tree, Bulgarian or jigsaw;
- 5 or more wood screws and screwdriver / screwdriver;
- Drill and drill 3 mm;
- Sandpaper of medium grain (for removing old varnish / paint from the back of a chair) and coarse grain (for sanding a wooden shelf);
- Black paint (if you want to create a scuff effect), white paint or any other desired color, brush;
- Wax or matt varnish;
- Putty wood;
- Joiner's glue.
- Cut back the chair to the desired size, after making the markup.
- In this project, for the manufacture of the upper shelf, the wooden base of the former hanger successfully fit. You can use a plank made of wood or plywood - it must be cut to the desired size, and then sanded all the ends. If possible, it is desirable to arrange the edges of the workpiece mill.
- Use medium-grain sandpaper (for example, 220 microns) to remove the old coating from the back of the chair, then paint both parts with black paint and leave to dry. This is necessary in order to further the black layer appeared through the scuffs of the top coating.
- It's time to attach the plate to the back of the chair. To do this, drill a small hole at each edge (from the outside, where you want to fasten the parts), then twist the screws, drowning them flush.If in your back of the chair there are vertical bars as in this project, then it is desirable to fasten them with a shelf with wood glue as well.
- Mask the place of attachment putty on wood, following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Now fasten the hooks to the bottom bar of your shelf, after making the markup. If necessary, the hooks can be painted (before attaching to the craft).
- If desired, screw each tag over the hook. The plate itself can also be decorated with numbers using a stencil, small brush and black acrylic paint. However, you can think of your own way to decorate the shelf.
- Paint the entire craftwork in white (or the color that you chose yourself), and then rub the sandpaper some places to expose the black layer of paint.
- Finally, cover the shelf with a matt varnish, or wax it better to protect the top coating from chipping, moisture and scratches.
In fact, from the chairs you can make the shelves of various configurations. Here are some more photo ideas for your inspiration.
Shelf for shoes from pallet
Want to make a shelf for shoes without using a jigsaw or drill? It is possible, you only need to find / purchase a wooden pallet (pallet) and slightly modify it.
- Used pallets are often given away for free or sold for 100-200 rubles on Avito-type flea markets. You can also ask for used pallets at local construction sites, warehouses and wholesale stores. New pallets can be ordered in specialized online stores for only 200-250 rubles.
How to turn the old pallet into such a pretty shelf for shoes in country style with your own hands? Set aside some free time and follow the steps below.
You will need:
- Wooden pallet;
- Manual / electric grinding machine with a triangular and standard nozzle or grinding machine. If there is no machine, use a small wooden block and wrap it with sandpaper;
- Sandpaper with grit, 40, 80 and 120;
- Soft rags;
- Dust mask;
- Moistureproof primer for wood (preferably with an antiseptic);
- Paint / stain and brush;
- Wax or matt varnish.
- Sand your pallet on all sides or only the part that will be visible: first, use sandpaper with coarse grit to remove the coarse bumps, knots and dirt. Then continue sanding with medium and fine grit sandpaper. Next, remove the dust with a brush, vacuum the entire pallet and, finally, wipe it with a damp cloth.
If you are a beginner, we recommend that you watch this video lesson on sanding a pallet.
- Apply a water-repellent primer to the entire (!) Pallet. It will protect the wood from rotting and moisture, which will drain from the shoe, and prepare the surface for painting.
- When the primer is dry, proceed to painting the shelf. You can paint the whole pallet or only its “front” part as in this project.
- When the paint dries, cover the tray with a matt varnish or wax. If you want to preserve the texture and design of the tree, process the pallet with the stain of the desired tone or even cover the shelf with only matte varnish / wax.
- Using a stencil, acrylic paint and a brush, write “Shoes!” In the center of the top of the shelf, as in this project or any other word / picture.
- The upper part of the shelf can be decorated with indoor plants, for example, succulents in containers and buckets for baking bread.
- You can improve your shoe rack by embedding the bottom of wooden slats in the middle and upper tiers (you just need to cut them in the right size and nail them in).
Here are some more photo ideas for making your own shoe shelves.
If you work a little with a nail puller, a hammer and a jigsaw, you can transform the tray into a kitchen shelf, a display shelf, a shelf for flowers or tools.
Photo gallery of ideas
If you don’t like any of the proposed shelf manufacturing methods, we suggest that you search for ideas in our photo gallery. Here we have collected other examples of wall shelves that can be made by hand from wooden boards, the same pallets, drawers and other easily accessible "lumber".
Do-it-yourself corner shelf easier than ever. For the manufacture of one shelf, as in the photo below, cut a triangular blank of the desired size and with the required angle (rarely the inner corners of the walls are exactly 90 degrees) from plywood or wood 1.5-2.5 cm thick, as well as two small support strips (length one bar should correspond to the leg of a triangular blank, and the length of the second bar should be calculated according to the formula: length of the leg minus the width of the first bar).
All items need to be thoroughly treated with sandpaper, and then painted or just waxed / varnished. Next, make the markup using the construction level on both the walls and the slats (note that the holes will be through!). Drill holes in the walls, insert dowels in them and then hang the supports on the screws using a through-installation method. It is important to choose the length of the screw - it should be calculated by the formula: dowel length + thickness of support bar + screw diameter. Finally, you will only have to install the shelves and fasten them either on the wood glue or with nails / screws on the wood. If you want to hide the caps of the screws, use a wood filler, and then paint over the “patches” with paint to match the shelves.
Skateboard Shoe Shelves
To make a shelf of a skateboard, you need to remove the wheels from it, and then hang it on the wall on the brackets.
Shelf in baguette
A shelf framed in a frame is made easy: first you need to make a skeleton of boards according to the frame size, then inside the box you need to install several separator bars.
If you have a simple wooden shelf for the bathroom, decorate it with the cross ceramic handwheels of the mixer. It is difficult to think of a more stylish thing!
Storage system of hinged boxes
The boxes are practically finished shelves that you just need to hang on the wall.
From several boxes of a single type, you can make a full-fledged modular storage system.
Suspended shelves of wooden boards and leather belts
From a wooden board and a pair of leather belts, you can do it yourself once or twice with just such a stylish hanging shelf.
Shelf for storage of fruits and vegetables
As you know, some fruits and vegetables should be stored at room temperature. But where to find a place for this? Our answer is on the wall with the help of such a shelf of wooden boards and metal baskets.
This mini shelf, roughly cobbled together from boards from a pallet, is suitable for storing bills and keys.
Here are some more ideas of shelves and wall-mounted organizers that can be put together from pallets or boards from them.
Make the wine shelf as in the photo above will help you the following video instruction.
- Home-made shelves for the kitchen - stylish, convenient, easy
- Assembling a kitchen set with your own hands as a designer
- 3 easy ways to upgrade your kitchen
- Features self-assembly kitchen corner set
- Guide to the selection and planning of kitchen furniture
- Handicrafts for home and kitchen do it yourself
- Storage in the kitchen - 17 super-efficient solutions and life hacking