The kitchen is the place where a lot of necessary things are stored. Without dishes, utensils, kitchen textiles, souvenirs, indoor plants this room looks faceless. But for the kitchen to always be in a neat form, each item should have its own place. And this place can be open shelves and decorative shelves in addition to a kitchen set, or even as a replacement for its upper part.
Choose the design, design and size of the shelf
Before you start tinkering the kitchen shelves with your own hands, you need to decide on its style and appearance:
- In the kitchen in style high tech and minimalism appropriate shelves of strict shapes and colors with light;
- AT Scandinavian interior and in the loft-style kitchen, massive or light shelves made of chipboard, wood, rough boards, old drawers and pallets look impressive;
- For Provence, shabby chic, country and classics decorative shelves will fit on metal consoles, artificially aged, rustic or coarse;
- AT Art Nouveau room, designs with glass and metal will ideally fit;
- For a cozy kitchen in a modern style, shelves-lattices for dishes or racks for wine bottles are often used;
- Corner shelves are the most efficient and practical way to use space.
What you need to know before you start tinkering with your own hands?
- If you do not think out the purpose, design, degree of load, space for the shelf and do not complete the product design, then there is a great risk that the result of your work will not fit into the existing interior in color, style and size. Therefore, it is not necessary to hang a shelf on the wall just because you have the remains of boards and chipboard;
- The most convenient and easy to perform is a rectangular open shelf;
- Dimensions of the product should correspond to the items placed on it.
Shelves for spices, decor items, bottle-holders are quite small and can be placed anywhere: above the table, above the bar counter, in an apron under the upper cupboards of a headset, etc .;
- If you want to complement the existing kitchen with a shelf, then, most likely, it will be of medium size;
- The open shelves that replace the top modules of the headset can be long from wall to wall and massive;
- The chosen fastening must be combined not only with the material of the shelf, but also with wall decoration.
Chipboard or wood kitchen shelves
Shelves for the kitchen can be mounted on the wall, installed on the floor or table. You can make and universal option. To work will require:
- Jigsaw and perforator;
- Compass, pencil and ruler;
- A piece of plywood, chipboard, wooden boards or boxes;
- Brackets for hanging shelves or ready-made consoles sold in furniture stores (they can be made with your own hands);
- Sandpaper for sanding;
- Wood stain, paint, brush, screws, tapes for dressing of the shelf.
The amount of source material is calculated depending on the dimensions of the future product.
As for the shape, the wooden shelves for the kitchen are best made rectangular or triangular (for placement in the corner), but oval and round will not be appropriate everywhere. Do not forget about the durability and strength of the structure - special wear-resistant paints are used as a coating, and reliable hardware is used for fastening.
Tip! If your kitchen is not large, then massive shelves, designed for heavy loads, will look too cumbersome.
How to make kitchen shelves with your own hands? Works are performed in the following sequence:
- The place on the wall where the shelf will hang is determined.
- A construction drawing is created. To protect objects from accidental fall, you can install an additional curb in front.
- Pick up brackets or consoles - so that their height was less than the distance between the shelves vertically.
- Cut the product with an electric jigsaw, after which the surface of the ends is ground.
- Visible after hanging, the ends are sealed with a special edge or veneer (in the case of manufacturing a shelf made of chipboard).
- Mark the wall in the mounting holes.
- Securely secure the shelf.
Master drywall shelves
For the kitchen, you can make and shelves of drywall with your own hands.
When designing the product, it is necessary to take into account the expected load, placing such useful things as a TV or musical speakers on the plasterboard construction. Shelves of plasterboard on the frame should be strengthened profiles inside. If you are planning only decorative shelves, then a metal rack profile will suffice.
Before you make a shelf with your own hands from GCR, you need to complete its drawing in full size. After drawing up the drawing and its adjustment in accordance with the dimensions of the kitchen, you can proceed to the calculation of materials.
Then markings are made on the wall, the frame is made and the installation of drywall is carried out.
After you are able to fix the entire drywall, proceed to puttying all surfaces (before this, all the corner elements of the structure must be additionally fastened and the ends should be cut with a perforated corner).
Putty is applied in several layers. When it dries, the structure is rubbed with sandpaper, primed and painted. There are neat decorative shelves on the wall that can be used to store kitchen utensils, a collection of porcelain or wine bottles.
Kitchen decoration - decorative shelves
Decorative shelves for the kitchen are used to create comfort, but this does not mean that you cannot place useful things on them.
Often, decorative shelves are a complex in one style, where you can store serving utensils, vases and figurines.
Tip! Small shelves can be hung using beautiful ready-made mounts. Contrasting combinations look impressive - a white shelf on colored consoles, rough wood on black brackets, etc.
Decorative shelves can be fixed in the apron instead of railings, putting here various useful things needed in the process of cooking. But make sure their finishes are strong enough.
If you fix structures on the wall near the dining area, you can decorate them with collections of wine bottles or charming olive porcelain.
Homemade bottle cases
Noble wine requires a respectful attitude. And, if you consider yourself a real connoisseur of such a drink, then you need such useful things as shelves for wine bottles.
The unique qualities of the bouquet will be preserved only if you can ensure the proper storage of wine. Therefore, the shelves for wine bottles should be such that they allow to store containers in a horizontal position. Indeed, in a vertical bottle of oxygen can enter the bottle.
Of course, you should not turn the kitchen into a wine cellar, but you can create a unique author’s version for storing a drink. Moreover, the basis can take a lot of design decisions.
Even on small kitchen you can find a place to store wine bottles - for this, “cells” are installed between the wall cabinets and the ceiling, which saves useful meters below.
Interesting ways to store wine bottles will also be: a special tree or elements that are built into the cabinet. You can also make interesting things from the usual shelf, dividing its internal space with partitions corresponding to the size of the bottles.
All ingenious is simple! Creative shelves do it yourself
And finally, we present you a selection of unusual ideas and, at the same time, easy-to-make shelves and shelves.
But such shelves can be made of wooden boxes. This option will be appropriate in the kitchen in the style of Chebbi chic, loft, country, Provence and more.
From the pallets you can make the most different in size, design and purpose of the shelf.
See also our additional material: How to make a shelf with your own hands - 4 cool ways for beginners
- Rails in the kitchen - a complete guide to the choice and use
- Assembling a kitchen set with your own hands as a designer
- 3 easy ways to upgrade your kitchen
- Features self-assembly kitchen corner set
- Guide to the selection and planning of kitchen furniture
- Handicrafts for home and kitchen do it yourself
- Storage in the kitchen - 17 super-efficient solutions and life hacking