Using household items and some tools from the first-aid kit or the kitchen cabinet, you can quickly and easily clean the kitchen sink from clogging without spending a penny. Just select and click below on one of the 8 rapid methods, depending on the degree of blockage, the availability of tools and "chemicals" in the house. Or view the entire material ⇓.
- Method 1. Cleaning pipes with boiling water or hot water
- Method 2. How to clean the pipe from clogging plunger
- Method 3: How to clean the pipes in the kitchen of fat with soda and salt
- Method 4. Eliminating clogging with vinegar and soda
- Method 5. Eliminating the blockage ... Alka-Seltzer
- Method 6. How to clean the blockage in the pipes with a vacuum cleaner with blowing function
- Method 7. How to clean the pipe from clogging with a sanitary cable (and how to replace it at home)
- Method 8. How to eliminate clogging in the sink using household chemicals
First aid for blockages - 6 easy ways
It is possible that in order to clear the clog in your kitchen sink, the following simple and absolutely harmless for pipes (of any kind) actions will suffice, and you will not need further reading of the article.
Method 1. Cleaning pipes with boiling water or hot water
Perhaps this is a measure of the first aid itself, which is often enough to eliminate blockages.
- If the pipes are steel, pour about 1 liter of boiling water into the drain hole and wait for 20 minutes. To clean the plastic pipes, just let the hot water from the tap as 20 minutes (water temperature should not exceed 60 degrees). A not-too-tight stopper must merge into the sewer.
- Check the result of letting a small stream of water. Did not help? We try another method.
Method 2. How to clean the pipe from clogging plunger
- We tightly plug all overflow holes in the sink with a wet cloth to block the passage of air and provide a hydraulic pole.
- We press the plunger to the drain hole, then dramatically pull it towards us. We repeat these actions several times in order to properly “break the” cork and break it into small parts.
- Check the result by releasing a small stream of water.
- Let the stream of hot water for a few minutes to cork safely went into the sewer.
- If there is no plunger on hand, and the blockage is not too complicated, then it can be replaced with a glass or a rag. The actions are the same: we press to the sink - we pull out sharply.
- If you have a two-piece sink, then you need to have two plungers and use them simultaneously. That is, when cleaning the drain in one bowl of the sink, you need to close the drain in the second. This will create greater suction power. If there is no second plunger, then close the second drain hole with a damp cloth and press it with your hand.
Method 3: How to clean the pipes in the kitchen of fat with soda and salt
Congestion in the kitchen sink is often caused by the abundance of fat in the pipes. In this case, the usual salt and soda can eliminate the problem.
- Half a cup of salt and 1 cup of soda are dissolved in a glass of water and pour the mixture into the drain, wait 5-10 minutes.
- We operate the plunger (or rag) as described above (see method 2).
- Flush pipes with hot water.
Method 4. Eliminating clogging with vinegar and soda
Another popular way to clean the pipes in the kitchen at home is with vinegar (9%) and soda. The caustic foam formed as a result of the chemical reaction of these components should eat into the blockage.
- Pour 150 grams of soda into the drain hole, and pour the same amount of 9% vinegar on top.
- Close the drain plug to prevent the foam from passing out.
- Wait a couple of minutes, then use hot water at full strength - this will help push the cork through.
Method 5. Eliminating the blockage ... Alka-Seltzer
If there is no soda in the house suddenly, but there is Alka-Seltzer, then he will also be able to clean a moderately clogged siphon. By the way, this tool has another bonus - the unpleasant smell from the sink will disappear.
- Throw a couple of Alka-Seltzer tablets into the drain hole, then pour 1 cup of 9% vinegar.
- After 2 minutes, flush out the hot water to the full to help push the dirt through.
Method 6. How to clean the clogged pipes with a vacuum cleaner
Do you have a vacuum cleaner with blowing function? Fine! We wrap the pipe of the vacuum cleaner with a rag so that it fits tightly into the drain hole. Strong airflow from the vacuum cleaner will push stagnation.
When folk methods do not help
The problem did not dare? If first aid did not help, it means that the clog in the sink is old, large and dense. How to clear the clog in the pipe, if folk recipes did not work? Do not rush to call the plumber and disassemble the siphon, try using special chemicals (Mole, Tireth, Pothan, etc.) or plumbing cable.
Method 7. How to clean the pipe from clogging with a sanitary cable (and how to replace it at home)
If the sink in the kitchen is clogged strongly, then you can use a special plumbing cable. This metal device looks like a brush with a long flexible handle (sold in hardware stores). Cleaning water pipes with a cable is best suited for metal structures - they can even partially remove rust. But the method is not suitable for cleaning plastic pipes, as there is a risk of damaging them with excessive mechanical pressure.
- The cable is placed in the pipe and scrolls. Here you can direct the movement both from yourself, pushing the blockage into the sewer pipe, and towards yourself by pulling out the cork.
- When cleaning with a cable, from time to time it is necessary to supply water to the sink so that a stream of water flushes out the released dirt.
- Let the hot water for a few minutes to drain into the sewage sediment residues.
- If there is no cable in the farm, then the usual metal hanger from which you can make a mini-rope will come to the rescue. Cut it with nippers so that the resulting wire has a small hook at the end (see the picture below).
Method 8. How to eliminate clogging in the sink using household chemicals
Special products designed to eliminate blockages in pipes may be acidic or alkaline. Most often they are:
- Liquid and helium (for example, Sanfor, Tireth Turbo, Deboucher).
- Dry in the form of loose powder or granules (for example, Bagi Pothan, Mole, Chirton “Clean drains”).
Means for cleaning pipes is chosen depending on the material of the pipeline and the expected type of pollution.
- The cheapest, well-known and universal remedy - “Mole”, is based on acidic compounds and in most cases eats away blockages of any origin. But for the most neglected cases, we recommend trying the high-speed tool Bagi Pothan in the form of a granular powder.
- Liquid clog cleansing agents are more gentle and comfortable to use.
- Whatever means you choose, first clear the blockage with boiling water, holding for 20 minutes (if the pipes are steel) or 20-minute flow of hot water (if the pipes are plastic). After that, add the cleaning solution exactly following the manufacturer's instructions.
- If there are children living in the house, then it is better to buy a pipe cleaner at once in small packages.
- Before you begin cleaning the pipes, do not forget to wear rubber gloves, otherwise the clogging remover will not only cork, but also your skin.
- If you are going to eliminate the blockage in the sink with a caustic chemical or vinegar, then be sure to open the window.
If none of the above methods worked, then it is time to call the plumber. Most likely, the stagnation was formed too deep and huddled tightly out of reach for most tools from blockages.
Recommendations for cleaning plastic pipes
Cleaning plastic pipes should be done with extreme caution, as the material is quite susceptible to mechanical damage. It is worth knowing that the smooth surface of plastic pipes does not corrode. Also, surface contaminants do not adhere well. However, clogging can still occur, because fatty deposits, hair, food debris gradually clog up the water flow.
- For plastic pipes, you can use a plunger or household chemicals that give excellent results.
And a bit about prevention
To prevent the kitchen pipes from clogging as long as possible, you should follow these guidelines:
- Clogging up the sink in the kitchen is a normal and unavoidable problem for any home, but it is better not to allow it to occur as long as possible and to carry out preventive maintenance in a timely manner. After all, the more often we clean the pipes, the faster and easier the blockages are removed, and the pipes and siphon do not wear out. Just make it a habit every week to let in hot water or pour boiling water into the sink drain for 20 minutes or clean the plumbing with the help of a plunger.
- Try not to pour liquids containing cooking oil in the kitchen sink, as it freezes in the pipes / siphon and provokes an increase in deposits on the walls of the water supply system. If this does happen, immediately take preventive measures - let the hot water / boiling water or add soda and salt to the drain (see Method 3).
- Of course, all dishes before washing in the sink should be cleaned from the remnants of food. Most often the cause of blockages lies in our laziness 🙂
- The drain hole must be supplemented with a special mesh that protects the pipe from large food particles.
- We clean the hood from fat - quickly, simply, efficiently
- How to clean the pan outside and inside - 12 best ways
- How to clean the pan outside and inside - 8 simple ways for difficult cases
- How and what to clean the glass-ceramic stove - 7 ways
- How to remove scale from the kettle - 6 home remedies
- How to properly and quickly defrost the refrigerator in 8 steps