The stove is the most difficult to clean appliances in the kitchen, especially if it is gas. Indeed, unlike electric, it has a grate of heavy cast iron, burners, which periodically become clogged, and handles, which very quickly get dirty with grease. Stationary gas stoves also have an oven and a drying cabinet, a back panel or a lid. From this material, you will learn how to clean the gas stove at home from the grates to the buttons, as well as how to make cheap and super-effective cleaning solutions with your own hands.
8 steps to clean the gas stove
Before proceeding with general cleaning of your gas stove, turn off the gas supply valve, disconnect it from electricity if you have the electric ignition function, wear rubber gloves and follow our step-by-step instructions.
What you need:
- Vinegar 9% (for cleaning the table, cabinet and handles of the plate);
- Ammonia or soda (for cleaning grids and pens);
- Dishwashing liquid;
- Plastic bag (for cleaning of lattices with ammonia);
- Sponge with a hard side;
- Rags or paper towels;
- Toothpicks (for cleaning crevices);
- Clip, pin or needle (for cleaning the burners).
Step 1. First, let's clean the grates - the most problematic part of the gas stove. Remove them and scrape the adhering pieces of food, fat deposits and carbon deposits in the corners with a scraper. Next, select one of the three cleaning methods:
- Method 1. How to clean the grill gas stove soda. Dissolve half a glass of soda with water to make a pasty consistency. Coat each grille with the resulting product, paying particular attention to the corners and the joints, and then leave them for several hours (at this time proceed to the following cleaning steps, described below). After this treatment, it will be much easier to remove grease and carbon deposits from the cast iron. However, you will have to tinker a little with old mud, using the hard side of the sponge, detergent or ammonia.
- Method 2. How to clean the gas stove grate with ammonia. According to most reviews, this method is the most effective. Moisten the sponge with ammonia and just cover every inch of the grid with it. Next, put it in a plastic bag, tie it up and leave for a couple of hours or more (at this time, proceed to the next steps of cleaning the plate). At the end, rinse the dish with dishwashing liquid and remove the exfoliated fat and soot with a sponge.
- Method 3. How to clean the gas stove grate with soapy water. Grate about a quarter of the laundry soap, dissolve the chips in hot water (5-7 liters) in a basin or sink, and leave the grates soaked for several hours. After that, rinse them clean with dishwashing detergent; if necessary, treat difficult places with ammonia.
Keep in mind that washing the cast iron grates in the dishwasher is not only not very efficient, but also not useful for cast iron. Indeed, after such a long stay in the water, it will certainly become rusty.
Step 2. Also remove the burner lids and soak them for a while in a basin with hot soapy water (you can put them in the same basin where the grates are soaked).
Step 3. Using a dry brush or paper towel, clean the slab of crumbs and any other surface contamination.
Step 4. Let us deal with burners: remove them, wipe with a damp cloth and make sure that nothing prevents the flow of gas. If necessary, clean the holes with an unfolded clip (pin / needle) and put the burners back in place.
Step 5. Spray a generous amount of water and vinegar diluted 1: 1 onto the body of the slab with a spray bottle. Do not forget to spray vinegar on the handles (if they are not removable), the control panel, the back panel of the stove, the oven, if there is one. Let the tool work for you for a minute or so. Next, wipe the stove with a clean cloth or paper towel.
By the way, if the body of your plate is white, then you can sprinkle it with baking soda after vinegar treatment. The resulting mixture will act on the fat and soot even more effectively, however, will leave behind a white patina, which will not so easily wash off. That is why washing the stove with a mixture of vinegar and soda is not recommended for owners of silver, black and other color models.
Step 5. Soaking the plate in a solution of vinegar will help to cope with most contaminants. However, in order to clean up the old fatty bloom, you should additionally work with one of the following means:
- Dishwashing liquid;
Apply the product to a small brush (the toothbrush fits perfectly!) And start cleaning local dirt with small circular motions.
Step 6. Separately, it is necessary to dwell on the stage of cleaning the knobs of a gas stove and electric ignition buttons, which are so difficult to clean because of their small size, existing cavities and crevices clogged with grease.
- If the handles are removable, remove them and soak for a few hours in a solution of equal parts of vinegar and water or in a hot solution of grated laundry soap. If after this treatment, the old fat is still not displayed, treat the complex areas with a solution of ammonia and water (1: 1), let the alcohol work for 5-10 minutes and wipe the handles clean.
- How to clean the handles of the gas stove, if they are not removed? The principle of operation is simple: treatment with the solutions “vinegar + water” or “ammonia + water”, soaking for 10 minutes, brushing with a toothbrush in a circular motion. The gaps should be cleaned with a toothpick.
Step 7. If your gas stove has an oven, it’s time to clean it. Follow our step by step instructionsto do it efficiently and correctly.
Step 8. Put clean grills, burners and their covers back in place, make sure that the alcohol has evaporated (if you used it) and check the operation of the stove.
- How and what to clean the glass-ceramic stove - 7 ways
- How to clean the pan outside and inside - 12 best ways
- How to clean the iron inside and outside - 10 home ways
- How to clean the pan outside and inside - 8 simple ways for difficult cases
- We clean the hood from fat - quickly, simply, efficiently
- How to remove scale from the kettle - 6 home remedies