Iron periodically must be cleaned inside and outside:
- The tank for water - from a scum and a mold;
- The body - from dust and dirt;
- The sole is from traces of burnt fabric, rust and scale.
From this material you will learn 10 super-efficient ways to clean your iron at home with products that are always at hand and cost a mere penny.
How to clean the iron from scale - 3 ways
When used for steam ironing, not distilled water, but tap water, mineral deposits accumulate over time in the tank and the steam release channels in the sole of the iron.
- If the iron suddenly began to release dirty water and dirty clothes, it means that it is time to clean it from scale.
Since scale is only calcium and magnesium salts, it is necessary to act on it with acid. Here are two ways to help you clean the iron inside.
Method 1. How to clean the iron from the scale with vinegar
Fill the iron with a solution of vinegar and water diluted in equal proportions by about one-third of the tank.
Heat the iron to the maximum and leave it upright for 5-10 minutes. Keep in mind that at this time it will periodically shut down, cool down and reheat to its maximum, there is no need to interfere with this process.
Next, place a container for collecting water under the iron, and, holding the device horizontally, begin to actively release steam by pressing the appropriate button. As a result, rust drops should flow out of the holes in the sole. Continue to let off steam until drops of dirt stop flowing out of the iron (see left photo).
Then pour clean water into the iron and turn it on again at maximum temperature to eliminate the residue of scale and vinegar. Again, hold the device horizontally above the basin and let off steam several times. Finally, simply drain the water and wipe the soles and openings to steam out with a napkin or a clean rag.
Method 2: How to scrape iron with citric acid
Dissolve a small packet of citric acid (no more than 25 g) in 1 cup of warm water to full transparency.
Pour the resulting solution in a preheated iron and let it "brew" for 5-10 minutes. Further, holding the device horizontally above the basin, several times let off steam from it by pressing the corresponding button so that scale and rust flow out of the openings of the sole. When all the dirt has run out, drain the liquid from the iron, pour clean water into it and let the appliance “steam up” again to eliminate the residue of scale and vinegar. Again, release steam over the basin several times and finally wipe the sole and the holes in it with a napkin or a clean rag.
Method 3. How to clean the iron from the scale using a "hot tub"
Reviews of this method of cleaning the iron from the scale are very ambiguous, so we did not test it in practice, but you can try it if the first two methods did not solve the problem. How to make a "hot bath" for the sole of the iron, see this video tutorial.
Whatever method of cleaning the iron from the scale you choose, when you finish all the procedures, be sure to test the result by ironing the light fabric in the steam mode. If the iron still releases dirty water or leaves yellowish stains (for example, from citric acid), it should be cleaned another 2-3 times with clean water.
How to clean the sole of the iron - 7 ways
Method 1. How to clean the sole of iron with vinegar
Vinegar can remove not only scale, but also soot on the sole of the iron. To do this, mix the vinegar with water in a 1: 1 ratio. Dampen a rag in the resulting solution and wipe the sole with it (it should not be heated). Next, moisten a cotton swab in the solution and clean the steam holes with it.
- This method is suitable for cleaning the soles with Teflon and ceramic coating.
Method 2. Cleaning soles from carbon deposits soda
Stubborn signs of rust, scale and scale can be removed with soda. Mix 2 tsp. baking soda with a small amount of water or 9% vinegar to make a paste. Apply the paste to a slightly heated sole and rub with a cloth.
Method 3. Cleaning salt
To clean the dirt from the iron, sprinkle some salt on a paper / cotton towel or sheet of foil and place a high-heat iron on it.
There is another way to clean the iron with salt: heat it to the minimum temperature, put a handful of salt in a piece of folded cheesecloth or other thin cotton fabric and rub it on the sole.
See also the material: How to clean the washing machine from dirt and scale in 5 steps.
Method 4. How to clean the iron with a teflon coating with soap
Heat the iron to the minimum temperature and gently rub the sole with soap. The soap will begin to melt and soften the burn. Then you just need to wipe the sole clean and clean the holes for steam release with cotton swabs or toothpicks.
Method 5. How to clean the sole of an iron toothpaste
"Scrub" nagar from the sole of the iron can be a regular toothpaste (it should be white, not gel). Squeeze a small amount of paste out of the tube and wipe the slightly heated sole.
Method 6: How to clean the iron sole with hydrogen peroxide (suitable for teflon and ceramic coated soles)
Moisten a cotton pad with peroxide and wipe the slightly heated sole. Using a cotton swab moistened with hydrogen peroxide, clean all the holes.
Method 7. Removal of traces of burnt synthetic or plastic with acetone (suitable for cleaning the soles with teflon and ceramic coating)
Just wet the cotton pad with acetone or nail polish remover and wipe down any problem areas.
See also the material: How to clean the sofa and other upholstered furniture at home.
Additional cleaning and prevention tips
- In case you burned the fabric and its traces remained on the sole, immediately apply a cotton cloth moistened in cold water to the soiled area. A sharp temperature drop will help peel off the burnt fabric from the metal.
- Do not use metal sponges and hard brushes for cleaning the sole of the iron, especially if it has a teflon or ceramic coating. In addition, in order not to scratch the metal, avoid using abrasive cleaners.
- To reduce scale and rust deposits inside the iron, each time after ironing, while the appliance is still hot, pour all the remaining water out of it.
- To delay the cleaning of the iron from the scale, try to use filtered water for steaming.
And finally, we offer to see a useful video story about how to clean an iron with metal, ceramic or teflon sole with folk and special means.
- How to remove scale from the kettle - 6 home remedies
- How to clean the pan outside and inside - 12 best ways
- How to clean the pan outside and inside - 8 simple ways for difficult cases
- 5 ways to clean the oven from fat and scale
- How to wash kitchen towels to perfect condition - 7 ways
- 8 ways to clean pipes from blockages
- Rating washing powder 2019 and a guide to choose