Despite the antistatic and protective impregnation of stretch ceilings, you still need to wash them. In living rooms it is advisable to do this 1-2 times a year, and in the kitchen - every 2-3 months as the appearance of greasy deposits and soot. Fortunately, cleaning the ceiling is not so troublesome, cleaning does not require additional costs and does not take much time. In this material we will describe how and how to wash stretch ceilings (glossy, matte, satin and fabric).
How to wash the suspended ceiling at home - a universal way
At home, manufacturers recommend washing the suspended ceiling only with special means or soapy water. In most cases, this cleaning is enough to clean the canvas from dust, construction dirt, greasy or nicotine plaque, soot. In this step-by-step instruction we will talk about the universal and the only way of cleaning, which is approved by the manufacturers of tension structures.
You will need:
- Plain mop with bristles, and preferably with a flat nozzle;
- Clean and soft microfiber rags or flannels (2 pcs.);
- A basin of warm water (but not hot!);
- Spray (optional);
- Liquid soap;
- For greater convenience, it is desirable to prepare a ladder.
Our advice: It is more convenient to mop the ceiling with a movable platform and a microfiber attachment, which is also called telescopic (in the photo). The price of such a mop is quite high - from 2 thousand rubles, but it is light, nimble and already has a nozzle, which can be repeatedly washed.
Step 1. Dilute a weak soap solution from liquid soap and warm water in a basin. If you are using a spray bottle, then the following proportions will do: 4 drops of liquid soap per 1 cup of water.
Step 2. Throw a rag dipped in a mop moistened with soapy water (but not hot!) And start cleaning. Start washing the stretch ceiling with a mop moving from one corner to another, moving steadily through the entire canvas. If the ceiling area is very large, then you can divide it into several sections, each of which should be washed moving from the walls to the center of the canvas.
- If you are using a spray bottle, you can evenly distribute the product into one section, then wash it by hand or with a mop and a clean, damp cloth. Next, you should move to another site. The principle of mop movement is the same - from the walls to the center of the canvas.
Well, if you have a stepladder - it will allow you to manually remove local spots on the canvas, more cleverly wipe the mop and better see the pollution. Also, the ladder is needed if the ceilings are high.
- Avoid too much pressure, so as not to rub dirt or dust into the fabric and not to damage it.Especially great care must be taken when washing stretch ceilings installed close to the base (for example, at a level of 3-4 cm). In the latter case, it is better not to use a mop at all, but to wash the ceiling with your hands while climbing up the stepladder.
Step 3. If necessary, use one of the household or special tools described in the next chapter to remove difficult dirt.
Step 4. If you wish, you can be safe from the appearance of stains and once again walk the canvas with a mop with a clean damp cloth.
Step 5. After finishing the cleaning, be sure to wipe the stretch ceiling with a clean, dry cloth to get rid of residues, and most importantly - from stains. In fact, this stage is polished cloth.
- To wash stretch ceilings, it is permissible to use only soft, lint-free rags (microfiber or flannel). Brushes and hard sponges can not be used.
- Absolutely forbidden use cleaners for washing ceilings containing: acetone, alkali, solvents, chlorine, abrasive particles, as well as any laundry detergents, laundry soap, mustard, soda.
- Tension structures should not be washed with hot water.
- If you plan to wash the ceiling manually, then before starting the cleaning, be sure to remove the rings from yourself (especially with stones) in order not to damage the film.
What else can wash stretch ceilings
Despite the fact that manufacturers categorically do not recommend cleaning stretch ceilings with anything other than soap solution or special products (they are sold in hardware and hardware stores, in companies producing stretch ceilings), practice shows that sometimes they can be replaced:
- Window cleaner (based on ammonia) - this tool is good because it allows you to wash stretch ceilings (except matte and fabric) without leaving stains. It also does an excellent job with greasy deposits and soot, local pollution. It is safest to use colorless liquids (without dyes in the composition).
- Dishwashing liquid - it is as neutral as soap, but it copes better with a thick coating, which is important for washing stretch ceilings in the kitchen.
- A solution of warm water and 10-% ammonia (in a ratio of 9: 1) - suitable for washing only glossy and satin stretch ceiling (NOT suitable for matte ceilings!). They can effectively remove greasy and nicotine plaque, soot, food contamination and splashes, as well as remove stains after the main cleaning. After applying the solution, the cloth must be wiped dry.
Before you start cleaning, test the cleaner on a small, inconspicuous site. Apply it first, then wipe clean and dry. If after 10 minutes the treated area has not faded, has not faded, is not deformed and remains without stains, then the chosen tool can be used.
How to clean matte, satin and fabric stretch ceilings?
- Clean fabric ceilings the safest method of dry cleaning (soft rags from flannel / microfiber). It is acceptable to use a vacuum cleaner in the mode of low power retracting (carefully). At the same time, the nozzle should be kept at a distance of 3-5 centimeters from the canvas. If you need to clean stains and dirt, you can use the same weak soap solution, treat them contaminated area and leave for 5 minutes. The main thing is not to overdo it with friction, otherwise traces may remain.
You can also wash the fabric ceiling using a special tool as in the photo below.
- Satin ceilings can be washed in the same way as glossy ones (see instruction in the first chapter).
- Matt ceilings cleaned in the same way as glossy or satin ones. However, they can not be cleaned with alcohol-based products (including liquid ammonia).
More tips on prevention and care.
- If stretch ceilings are installed in your kitchen, do not forget to use the hood every time you cook (especially if you have a gas stove!).
- Remember that it is better to wipe off any dirt immediately before it dries and "ate".
- To simply remove dust, just wipe the ceiling with a dry cloth.
- In difficult cases, it is better to use the services of a cleaning company or the services of a ceiling installation company (some companies provide cleaning services). Professionals clean tension structures with special vacuum cleaners and detergents.
- How to clean the pan outside and inside - 12 best ways
- How to clean the pan outside and inside - 8 simple ways for difficult cases
- How to get rid of bugs in the kitchen?
- How to remove scale from the kettle - 6 home remedies
- How to quickly clean the kitchen hood and its filter - 7 best ways
- 8 ways to clean pipes from blockages
- How to remove the smell from the refrigerator in 6 steps