To choose the size of the sink for the kitchen, you need to focus on the following main factors.
The size of the cabinet and table top
It is logical that a sink can be as much as a smaller cabinet, but no more, so, to determine the size of the kitchen sink, first of all take 2 measurements:
- cabinet frame width (cabinets);
- if you want to buy a sink with a wing, then measure also the length and width of the countertop piece that a future sink can take. At the same time keep in mind that if you are right-handed, then the wing should be on the right, if left-handed, then the wing of the sink is better to choose with the left arrangement. The example in the photo below.
And now the main recommendations:
- The sides should not fit close to the wall, it is better to maintain a distance of about 5 cm, that is, if the cabinet frames are 50 cm wide, then you can install a sink with a width (or diameter) of the bowl (excluding the wing) not more than 45 cm;
- The sink should not fit more than 5 cm to the front edge of the tabletop, otherwise it will be inconvenient - clothes can urinate and water can be sprayed. But you shouldn't put it too far away either;
- Kitchen sink can be installed close to the back wall, that is, to the apron, but do not do it better. If you leave a distance of 5 cm or more, it will be easier to wipe this place so that water does not accumulate. And if you leave this distance baboutthen you can put dishes for washing dishes or mount the mixer as shown in the photo below. This is especially true for sinks without holes for the installation of the mixer;
- If you want to choose an invoice wash, then you need to find the dimensions exactly in accordance with the size of the drawer.
Not only the length and width are important, but also the depth.
- The best depth of the bowl is 16-19 cm - sinks with such depth will be spacious, and water will not be sprayed in the process. In fact, most kitchen sinks have just such depth.
- You can choose a sink with a bowl depth of more than 19-20 cm, if you often bake in the oven on baking sheets, use large pots or type water in large containers. But for regular use, such models are not the best choice, since you will have to bend your back. To correct this deficiency, you can raise the cabinet above.
- The depth of the bowl is less than 16 cm - suitable only for a bathroom - water from shallow sinks is strongly sprayed.
- Keep in mind that for small sinks with a diameter of less than 45 cm bowls, most often, deep ones - 20 cm or more.
Sizes and shapes
The form ensures the spaciousness of the product and its compliance with the chosen style.
- Square - comfortable and roomy;
Common sizes: 500 × 500 mm, 600 × 600 mm.
- Rectangular - Perfect for a narrow countertop or cabinets. But keep in mind that a rectangular narrow sink is not very convenient to use, because the wider the bowl, the less spray and easier washing dishes;
Common sizes: 550 × 500, 500 × 800, 500 × 1000, 500 × 1250 mm, etc.
- Round - such a bowl is easier to maintain, it will be more capacious than a rectangular one, but finding a round model with additional sections is rather difficult.
Standard diameters: 45-51 cm.
- You can choose other shapes - triangular, fantasy, oval.
- For large and / or corner kitchens Trapezoid sinks with six or five corners will do.
Number of sink bowls and sizes
Wash can be not only single, but double and three-section. The last options are very convenient - you can wash dishes in one bowl, rinse them in the second bowl, defrost foods or wash, for example, vegetables. If you can allocate space for such a sink, do it, the decision will justify more than once.
- Double and triple sinks require more space - the width of the cabinet frame must be at least 80 cm.
- The length of two-bowl sinks for the kitchen starts from 60 cm, when the additional section is narrow and small. Such models are also called one-and-a-half (photo below). In case there is not much space in the kitchen, then you can choose this option.
- Bowls are the same and different in size, as well as in depth and even shape. In addition, you can choose corner models.
But the photo below is an angular two-section sink with identical bowls.
Corner sink with three bowls of different volumes and a wing:
- for corner double and triple sinks, you need to choose a quality mixer that will withstand the increased load on turns;
- For trapezoid thumbs with an angle of 45 degrees, it is better to choose the same trapezoidal pentagonal or hexagonal corner washers as in the following photo.
But examples of direct sinks with two or three bowls and accessories.
And some more tips
- To choose the size of kitchen sinks, consider the food habits of your family - how often you wash the dishes, how much you cook and so on. For example, if small kitchen and the family is not large, then choose a sink for the kitchen width of 45 cm;
- In addition, you can choose a small sink, if the kitchen is equipped with a dishwasher. However, the depth of the sink should allow rinsing large pots and pans in it;
- Pay attention not only to the length, width, depth, but also to the thickness of the material and the height of the sides. Mortise sink with sides higher will be more practical, and the thickness of the stainless steel - the thicker, the better (acceptable thickness of stainless steel - 1.2 mm or more);
- Much depends on the type of mixer selected. For example, if you want a mixer that is built into the countertop, then the size of the sink should be chosen taking into account the space for it;
- The standard size of the pedestals is from 60 to 35 cm. Of course, it is important to first install the pedestal and then pick up the sink for it;
- And one more thing - if there is no place in your headset for a three-section spacious wash, then use a mixer equipped with a pull-out “shower”.
- Choosing a kitchen sink in 5 easy steps.
- Kitchen sink made of artificial stone - 8 tips for choosing
- Choosing a kitchen faucet
- Installing the kitchen sink - instructions, tips, video
- Corner kitchen sink - selection and installation
- Do-it-yourself kitchen faucet repair