Decorating your walls with wallpaper is the most effective way to make your kitchen cozy and stylish and even fix some room flaws. For example, with their help, you can create the illusion of space, if the kitchen is small. The main thing - to choose the right shade and pattern wallpaper.
- The main guideline in choosing the color of wallpaper for the kitchen is the color of the headset. After all, the walls and kitchen furniture occupy most of the space.
Our guide will help you make the right choice and tell you some professional tricks on the combination of wallpaper and furniture. Also here you will find 112 photos of kitchens with wallpaper in different colors, in which you can peek at the ready color solutions and ideas.
7 main rules
Whether you are planning a kitchen design from scratch or just want to replace the wallpaper in order to update the interior, these 7 recommendations will definitely help you.
- Make friends with the color wheel. Deciding on the color of the wallpaper for the kitchen, you can use the designers' favorite tool - the color wheel. You can buy it in the store for creativity or search the Internet for its online version.
The principle of working with a circle is quite simple - you need to “play” with combinations of colors according to ready color schemes.
Scheme 1. Monochromatic combinations: combines colors from one segment of the chromatic circle. That is, the wallpaper is chosen in tune to the headset. So that the monochrome scale does not seem too boring, it is better to choose wallpaper with a pattern (see photo below). You can also complement the interior with contrasting accents, an abundance of light colors or simply expressive textures / materials.
Scheme 2. Contrast combinations: colors-opposites are combined. For example, to a blue headset, you can pick up wallpaper with an orange print, because in the circle blue stands opposite the orange. And so that the combination of contrasting colors does not seem too sharp, it is better to use complex shades (for example, besides the blue headset, you can choose not purely orange wallpaper, but terracotta).
Scheme 3. Harmonic combinations: combined "neighbors" in a circle. According to this principle, you need to choose a yellow-green or blue-green wallpaper to a green kitchen set. You can dilute this range by including contrast or neutral tones in the interior.
We have listed three main schemes, but in fact there are many more (the principle of triads, remote pairs, intermediate tones, etc.). Below you can see a few diagrams.
- If the kitchen does not have enough sunlightthen the wallpaper should choose light and warm. For example, white, cream, creamy, light coral or pastel pink. Bright wallpaper of pure warm colors (for example, orange, yellow, red, etc.) can also be used, but in a small amount and provided the headset has a neutral color.The photo below shows a good example of how the northern and small kitchens were made lighter and “sunnier” with yellow wallpapers and white furniture.
- In the interior of a small kitchen White wallpapers work best, perhaps with a small and not catchy pattern. White wallpaper in combination with a white headset and at all will give the effect of unlimited and air-filled space, even if it is very close.
White wallpapers reflect light, making the space brighter and visually pushing the walls apart.
It turns out that the dark wallpaper is not the place in a small kitchen? This is not entirely true. If you glue, say, black wallpaper on one wall, and cover the remaining partitions with wallpaper lighter, then you will get the effect of a deeper space, the black wall will move into the interior of the room.
- Cold colors (blue, cyan, turquoise) wallpapers are shown for rooms that are flooded with sunlight most of the time. Otherwise, the walls will look dull and literally “freeze” the space. However, in a small dose and in combination with a large proportion of warm colors (for example, if the floor is wooden) “cold” wallpapers are acceptable.
- In general, warm colors wallpapers are best suited for the kitchen and dining room., as they have a good effect not only on the appetite, but also on communication between households.
Wallpaper cold tones, on the contrary, reduce appetite, on their background food seems less appetizing. For those who seek a moderate diet, this can play into the hands.
- In order not to lose your way with the choice of color, after looking at the nice wallpapers, do not rush to immediately buy them, but rather ask / order their sample for testing. The fact is that the option you liked in the store at home may reveal a little differently due to other lighting. In addition, it may simply not match the shade of your headset.
Wallpaper testing is carried out as follows: the sample is hung on the wall, and then just observed at different times of the day. Ideally, it should look good in dim light, and in bright sunlight, and in artificial light, and in natural.
By the way, it is useful to check the sample of wallpaper for compatibility with other interior elements: floor tiles, an apron, upholstered furniture, etc. After collecting and putting all the samples on the same board, you will see if your idea is successful or something needs to be changed. The creation of such boards (they are also called “mindboards”) helps professional designers to create the most harmonious combinations of colors, prints and textures.
- And the last, and very important practical advice. Selecting the wallpaper, check whether all rolls are from the same batch, and also make sure that you take at least 10-15% of the material stock.
Wallpapers of the same color and article, but released in different batches, are always slightly different (due to the nature of the production). The difference in shades may seem insignificant, but on the walls will become very noticeable.
For this reason, the wallpaper should always be bought with a margin. If suddenly there is not enough material, it will be difficult or impossible to find the rolls of the same batch.
See also on:
How to choose the wallpaper under the color of the kitchen - gallery of photo-ideas with tips
If you are in a hurry, click on the color of your headset to go directly to reading the necessary information.
- Brown (wooden);
- Blue and cyan;
- Black and black and white.
For white kitchen
To choose the color of the wallpaper for the white kitchen is both difficult and easy at the same time, because absolutely any shades suit it.
- For traditional white cuisine, natural and soothing colors are best suited: blue, gray, beige, brown, blue, green, mustard, terracotta and burgundy.
- For a modern white headset, you can choose the wallpaper not only shades listed above, but also more contrast, dark and pure colors. For example, it can be a wallpaper of bright yellow, lime, black, purple, turquoise or bright pink.
Also in the modern white kitchen will be good wallpaper.
Our choice: We like the combination of a white headset with yellow, yellow green or beige yellow wallpapers the most. In such a kitchen, even on the cloudiest day, it will be sunny.
See also: All about interior design white kitchen
For beige and cream kitchen
For a beige kitchen set is best suited: white, green, beige, brown tones, as well as blue, turquoise and blue wallpaper.
- Our choice: the combination of a beige kitchen with white-blue (see photo example below), blue or gray-blue wallpaper.
For brown kitchen (wenge, all shades of wood)
If you have a brown kitchen, then you can choose wallpaper of any warm color - from vanilla to mustard. Also a good background for brown furniture will be the walls of green, olive, blue, turquoise and blue.
For blue and blue kitchen
Depending on the color of the walls and the degree of illumination in the kitchen, with a blue or blue suite can be calm and fresh or cold and uncomfortable. To achieve a successful result, choose beige or milky-white wallpaper. Also well suited wallpaper with a yellow or orange print.
Our choice: We especially like the combination of a blue / blue kitchen with sand or yellow wallpaper.
For the gray kitchen
Gray headset has the ability to ennoble their companions and pacify a little. The most successful combination of gray kitchen will be with wallpaper of white, pink and yellow colors.
For green kitchen
The green kitchen will be pleasant to the eye, paired with: red, burgundy, orange, yellow, brown, blue and blue wallpaper.
For the yellow kitchen
Yellow kitchen matches perfectly with white. Especially well this duet works in dark kitchens, with windows facing north. Also to the yellow headset, you can pick up black and white wallpaper as in the photo below, pale lilac, blue, blue, turquoise, brown, red, coral and green.
Do you want to make yellow more strict and elegant? Then we advise you to choose wallpaper in light gray or beige.
For an orange kitchen
Orange color is one of the most invigorating and active, so all additional shades should balance it and “extinguish”.Blue, turquoise and blue wallpaper will refresh the orange kitchen, gray - make it more elegant, and green and white - bring comfort. Also with orange and its shades are combined red, yellow, pink, purple and lilac colors.
See also: Orange color in the kitchen interior
For red and burgundy cuisine
Red furniture never looks as harmonious as in the kitchen, as this color stimulates the appetite and makes the space cozy. However, in large arrays, red can be annoying, so it needs to be combined with more good-natured shades (white, green, beige) or with cold reserved tones (blue, blue, turquoise). Also, the wallpaper in the red kitchen can have a print of yellow, orange, brown and burgundy.
For black and black and white kitchen
In fact, for a black headset, as well as for white, wallpaper of any color will do. But so that the interior does not turn out to be too dark, it is better to use wallpaper of light tones, wallpaper with a white background and a color print or wallpaper of cheerful colors that can dilute the darkness of black. For example, it can be yellow, white-yellow, pink, white-green wallpaper.
Our choice: black kitchen with yellow or yellow-white wallpaper as in this selection of photos.
- Liquid wallpaper in the kitchen - 5 questions and answers
- Himself a painter - painting the walls in the kitchen
- Photowall-paper for kitchen - receptions and ideas of registration
- Washable wallpaper for the kitchen - inquire before buying
- Decorative plaster in the kitchen - information for the buyer and a master class on finishing