Electric ovens are about 90% of all oven models on the market. They are even equipped with gas stoves, because for this there are at least 3 good reasons:
- First, in an electric oven, heating is possible both from the bottom and from the top, due to which you can not worry that the cake will burn on one side and will not be baked on the other.
- Secondly, the electric model is endowed with the most useful function of convection, which allows you to distribute hot air evenly, bake several dishes simultaneously at different levels and get an appetizing golden crust. Such a number will not work with a gas burner due to the danger of flame attenuation (although gas ovens with a fan do exist).
- And finally, the third argument "for" electric ovens: no fire and gas - no problem.
Our guide will help you choose a great oven in terms of functionality, design and price.
If you are looking for a gas oven, you here.
9 step guide
Step 1. Decide which oven we need - dependent or independent?
The built-in oven may or may not depend on the cooking surface.
- The dependent oven is installed directly under the hob and is connected to it with wires. The control panel is common and located on the oven.
In fact, such a kit is the same old kind plate, only built-in. It is convenient to use them, it is convenient, and it costs a little less than a pair of independent devices. True, there are several nuances in the choice of the dependent model.
- It is important that the interdependent oven and hob are compatible with each other. Keep in mind that belonging to one manufacturer does not guarantee compatibility of devices (a special table from the manufacturer will help to check it).
- A dependent set of gas top and electric bottom is possible, but there are not too many such models.
- You can choose appliances of different price categories, but it is desirable that the oven was more “advanced” than the hob.
An independent oven is good because it can be placed anywhere. Most often, it is embedded in a pencil case with a microwave and a refrigerator at a convenient height - at eye level.
Also, the independence of the oven allows you to set the hob with any number of burners, for example, two, three or five. In the dependent set, the hob, as a rule, has strictly 4 burners.
Step 2. We are determined with dimensions and capacity
The dimensions of the standard oven are 60x60x56 cm (external dimensions).In this cupboard you can cook a large dish for 5-6 servings - what you need for an average kitchen and a family of 3-5 people. However, in some cases, the oven should have a non-standard width and / or height (the depth of all models is approximately the same - 60 cm (+ - 5 cm)).
- A narrow 45 cm wide oven is suitable for small kitchen and families of 2-3 people.
- A large oven 90 cm wide is ideal for spacious kitchens, families of 5-7 people and culinary fans.
- Low models with a height of 38-55 cm usually have the function of a microwave oven and help out if there is not enough space in the kitchen.
- A high oven with a height of 90 cm is usually double; it has one full-size chamber and one smaller one. This option is designed for large families and hospitable cooks.
Instead of focusing on the “useful volumes” declared by the manufacturer, take your largest baking dish to the store to make sure that the size of the oven is right for you.
Step 3. Decide whether you need a convection function.
The function of convection in electric ovens is carried out by a fan built into the back wall of the chamber. It circulates hot air and helps to cook the product faster, bake the cakes evenly, create an appetizing crust or cook several dishes on different baking trays at once. Some models in convection mode may even defrost the frozen product.
On the other hand, this function is not always necessary and not for everyone. Some dishes, for example, pastry made from yeast dough, lean meat and chicken in convection mode can turn out to be rather dry. If you rarely cook in the grill mode and often bake bread, rolls and pies, then you can save money on the fan.
- But if you like to cook in the grill mode, often bake biscuits and cakes, like to bake meat, fish or chicken in the sleeve, then the convection function in your oven will be useful.
Step 4. What about the self-cleaning function?
Self-cleaning oven - sounds great, but we rush to warn - the reality is somewhat different from expectations. There are three main types of self-cleaning systems: pyrolytic, catalytic and steam (hydrolytic).
- If you use the oven less than 1 time per week, then a model with a steam self-cleaning system will suit you.
- If you bake at least 1 time per week, then it is better to buy an oven with a catalytic self-cleaning system.
- For active chefs, you should invest in a self-cleaning oven with a pyrolysis function.
And now let's talk about the listed systems in more detail.
Pyrolytic self-cleaning (price - from 30 TR)
In the pyrolytic cleaning mode, the furnace heats up to 500 ° C, turning even the most difficult of contaminants (such as fat, burnt sugar syrup and milk), even in the most inaccessible places, into ... ash, which you then just need to wipe.
However, before you start the pyrolysis mode, you need to pull out all the shelves and side rails from the camera and clean them yourself. In addition, manual cleaning will require a glass door.
Good to know
- For safety reasons, at the time of pyrolytic cleaning, the oven door is automatically locked and opens only when the temperature in the chamber drops below 280 ° C.
- While the oven is in order, the kitchen becomes warmer than usual, even hot, the appliance door can reach 70 degrees and the air can fill an unpleasant smell. For these reasons, at the time of cleaning, it is desirable to include a hood and open the windows. And, of course, take the children out of the kitchen.
- It is necessary to carry out capital cleaning of an oven approximately once a month. The whole process usually takes 1.5-2.5 hours.
Catalytic self-cleaning (price from 20 tr.)
The side walls of catalytic self-cleaning ovens are coated with a special enamel that absorbs and splits fat deposits directly during baking at a temperature of 140 degrees.
The disadvantages of the catalytic self-cleaning system are as follows:
- Since the walls and the upper part of the chamber are covered with enamel, the bottom and the door will get dirty like in an ordinary oven and require manual cleaning.
- Enamel spoils from contact with milk and acid.
- The coating is designed for about 4-5 years, and then wears out and requires replacement.
- Large fat stains are not always removed in one cycle of work.
Good to know
- In advanced models of modern ovens, EcoClean ceramic coating is used as a cleaning layer rather than catalytic enamel. Its main advantage is the endless service life.
- If the surface is not completely cleaned, it can be cleaned by heating an empty oven for an hour using the convection function.
Steam self-cleaning ((hydrolysis), price from 15 tr.)
In some ovens, a steam cleaning method is used, which reduces fat deposits, soot and dirt stains. To clean the oven, you just need to fill the baking tray with water and start an automatic one-hour cycle that heats the oven to 70-90 ° C. Once the cycle is completed, all you have to do is wipe the oven with a cloth moistened with soap. True, more powerful cleaning products may be required to remove stubborn stains.
Step 5. Understand additional functions and programs
Even the simplest oven with a basic set of functions and convection can solve almost any “baking” task - to cook a pizza, souffle or turkey. But if the oven has additional functions, then in it you can not only bake and fry, but also stew, simmer, boil, defrost, reheat, raise dough, dry and not only. Let's look at additional features in more detail.
- Pizza mode (convection + lower heat at high temperature)
As the name suggests, this mode is ideal for cooking pizza and other dishes where full baking is required. For example, for any open pies, focaccia and bread.
- Convection grill (grill + convection)
In this mode, the grill and fan are activated. It is ideal for cooking large pieces of meat, chicken, chicken legs, sausages and other dishes that require a long cooking time. Also this mode is great for roasting vegetables, browning pasta, lasagna, chips, etc.
- Only grill
The mode is ideal for baking small, tender pieces of meat on the top shelf of the chamber (unless otherwise indicated in the recipe / manufacturer's instructions).
- Fast heating
This feature allows you to heat the oven faster than usual. Also, the mode is ideal for cooking frozen and pre-packaged foods. They only need to get out of the freezer and immediately put in the oven.
The product is defrosted only due to air circulation, the oven does not heat up. This mode can also be used for lifting yeast dough, drying dried fruits, vegetables and herbs.
Some oven models have a set of auto programs for defrosting different types of food.
- Temperature maintenance
In this mode, the cooked dish is kept warm at a temperature of 60-85 ° C.
- Slow cooking (stewing, languishing)
The dish is prepared in conditions as close as possible to a traditional oven - at a low temperature of 70-120 ° C with upper and lower heating, most often on the lower shelf. Food (especially meat and fish) is more healthy, without extra fat and harmful overcooked crusts, and very tasty.
This mode is ideal for making homemade yoghurts, as well as raising yeast dough.
- Automatic cooking programs
Multifunctional ovens have not only a basic set of modes, but also ancillary programs that cook food automatically according to the settings of the manufacturer or the user for temperature, cooking time, etc.You only need to specify the weight and type of product (for example, meat), the recipe (for example, roast beef) and put the workpiece on the shelf.
- Microwave oven
Some ovens They are equipped with high-frequency field generators (magnetron), that is, they can perform the function of a microwave. This addition can be used in combination with the heating elements of the oven to prepare the dish very quickly, as well as solo, for example, just to warm up the product.
- Double boiler
The design of the oven-double boiler provides a water tank and built-in steam generator. The latter can work both independently and combined with any type of heating, which greatly expands the cooking possibilities of the oven and often shortens the cooking process. After all, hot steam faster and more evenly affects the inside of the product. Among those who like to prepare dietary dishes, the function of a double boiler will be in great demand.
Step 6. Additional devices
Some ovens are completed not only with grills and trays, but also with a spit and / or a probe.
The probe is useful for those who often cook meat or poultry in large pieces. With it, you can monitor the temperature inside the product and its degree of readiness, catch the very moment when the dish becomes as juicy and tender as possible. Some thermocouples turn off the device automatically when the desired degrees are reached, and some only give a beep.
If desired, the probe can be purchased separately - it will not be attached to the oven, but it will also measure and show the temperature of the product.
Skewer allows you to cook meat without having to turn it over and over and remove excess fat. The fat will drain when the spit rotates, and the dish will be fried on all sides.
- It is desirable that the spit could be installed on the diagonal of the camera, then it will accommodate a larger amount of product.
- However, the skewer is not an obligatory thing, because in the mode of grill convection the meat can be cooked on the grill.
Well, if the oven has telescopic rails. The fact is that, unlike conventional grooves or metal holders, they allow you to check the readiness of a dish without the risk of burning your hands or face. All you need to do is slightly pulling the edge of the pan to roll it out of the chamber. Also, telescopic runners can be used to cool the cooked meal so that the pan does not take up space on the tabletop.
The disadvantages of telescopic guides are only two:
- They are somewhat more difficult to clean than regular holders. Even in the pyrolysis oven, the guides must be cleaned by hand and unscrewed beforehand.
- Telescopic guides increase the cost of the oven by 1-2 thousand rubles.
Step 7. Choose a color and design
When choosing an electric oven, focus on the color and style of the kitchen unit, as well as the color and style of other appliances, such as the adjacent hood, microwave or hob.
It is desirable that the oven was not too glossy, otherwise you will have to rub fingerprints every now and then. Also, devices of dark colors are not very practical - they are particularly noticeable dust, grease, any dirt stains.
Instrument designs can be divided into two categories - retro and modern style. Ovens in retro style can have brass, “forged” or “bronze” fittings, mechanical controls, rounded windows, a light shade of the case and doors.
If the interior of your kitchen is decorated traditionally, then such a model would perfectly fit into it. Fortunately, "retro ovens" are produced by almost all manufacturers.
Modern ovens are most often silver, white or black. Their design is very laconic - straight lines, plain accessories, often glossy surface.
Step 8. Pay attention to important little things.
The oven door should be easy to open and securely fixed in any position (without full opening or closing). The window in the door should be transparent so that the contents of the camera can be clearly seen in it.
The number of glasses in the window of the door varies from 1 to 4. The more glasses, the less the door heats up and the less chance of accidentally burn yourself.
Tangential chamber cooling
For a built-in electric oven blowing cold air into the walls is a crucial option. Thanks to her, the frame and the neighboring appliances (for example, a refrigerator that does not tolerate heat) will not be damaged.
If there are kids in your house, be sure to ensure that the oven selected has the function of locking the buttons and the door.
The backlight of the camera is in any electric oven, but in some models the burned-out lamps are not so easy to replace without the help of a specialist.
Step 9. We study the prices and ratings of manufacturers
Conventionally, electric ovens can be divided into three price categories.
- The first category includes “workhorses” worth up to 20 thousand rubles - these are reliable models with a basic set of functions: upper and lower heating, convection, grill, timer, camera illumination. Inexpensive ovens are produced by well-known manufacturers Bosch, Hansa, Ariston, Samsung and others.
- To the average price category include ovens worth up to 40 thousand rubles. Such models have a basic set of options, grill, auto programs, self-cleaning function. Gorenje, Kuppersberg, De’Longhi, Kaiser.
- Extra-class ovens can cost from 40 to 300 thousand rubles. Such units are endowed with a maximum of functions, possibly a vaulted chamber, as well as high-quality finishing and design. Expensive devices produce brands: ILVE (Italy), Miele (Germany), SMEG (Italy), De Dietrich (France) and, of course, La Cornue (France).
- All the nuances of choosing a gas hob
- Choosing built-in appliances for the kitchen
- 11 things to know before buying a dishwasher
- 10 criteria for choosing a refrigerator that you need to know before you buy
- Built-in refrigerator - the nuances of selection and installation
- Hood in the kitchen - what you need to pay attention to when buying